Your Guide to Rustic Style
The question of what exactly constitutes rustic decor can be a difficult one to answer. That’s because rustic decor is actually a wide umbrella that covers many different interior design philosophies.
These philosophies all share certain traits that make them instantly recognizable and clearly set them apart from other popular styles such as contemporary, modern, traditional, and Scandinavian. But what exactly are these traits?
In order to answer this question and make it easier for you and your home remodeling experts to find the right style for your San Diego home, we have prepared a short guide on the rustic approach to interior design. Keep reading to learn more.
What are the main characteristics of rustic style?
First off, the idea that you have to live in a log cabin in the middle of a forest to have a rustic home is a huge exaggeration that has no place in reality. When you come right down to it, rustic decor is more of a broad personal philosophy than a rigidly-defined decor style.
The defining traits of rustic decor include:
- Natural materials. Rustic style emphasizes the natural and the organic. As a result, the primary materials it uses are wood, leather, copper, stone, brick, slate, and soapstone. Industrial materials such as glass, plastic, concrete, and steel should be kept to a minimum.
- Casual atmosphere. Rustic decor should never feel as organized as modern decor, or as formal as traditional decor. Rather, it should inspire occupants to kick back on a soft couch and enjoy an afternoon next to a cozy fireplace.
- Handmade furniture that uses simple shapes and designs in order to let the materials stand out is a mainstay of rustic decor. This furniture also tends to be oversized and designed to maximize comfort and warmth.
- Earthy colors are a must, with grays, greens, and browns being the most common hues. This makes the space feel a little darker and heavier, but also warmer and more natural as well.
Trademark rustic features include:
- Natural and soft fabrics such as linen, wool, and cotton
- Traditional stonework such as stone veneer and stone details
- Chunky, aged wooden furnishings with unfinished edges
Rustic decor shouldn’t feature the following:
- Trendiness. Although it’s possible to find contemporary pieces that perfectly fit the earthy feel of rustic decor, it’s not easy to do so. When in doubt, it’s always better to prioritize heritage and tradition over the latest fads.
- Elaborate designs. Rustic style is all about going back to our roots and getting away from the complexities of city life. The furnishings should therefore emphasize simplicity and straightforwardness.
- Polished surfaces. Rustic interior design should look earthy and natural, rather than shiny and artificial. Glossy wood, completely straight angels, and overly clean designs should be avoided.
Where can I hire the leading home remodeling experts in San Diego?
There’s nothing worse than dealing with inexperienced or unprofessional interior designers and remodelers who are just looking to “get the job done” and don’t care about your long-term satisfaction.
At Lars Remodeling & Design, we’d like to help you avoid such hassle by providing you with the very finest home renovation and remodeling services San Diego has to offer. With almost 3 decades of industry experience, we are the de facto leader among home renovation companies in the city.
From reimagining your decor in a modern style or creating the perfect open space kitchen, to adding extra rooms to your living space or even completely renovating your home from the grounds up, our team is fully equipped to meet all your remodeling needs. Call us today!