Traditional vs. Design-Build Construction
Design-build turns the traditional building process into a streamlined construction project.
The design and construction process
|Traditional Building Method||Design-Build Construction|
|Conceptual Design||Conceptual Design|
|Initial Drawings||Price Established|
|Architect and Engineer Detailed Drawings||Architect and Engineer Detailed Drawings based on approved and cost-based plans|
|Bids From Construction Companies||Permit(s) Pulled|
|Price Established||Interior Design|
|Potential redesign to fit budget (back to the start of the design process)||Project Management|
The role of the homeowner
- The homeowner must choose, manage, and have contracts with both the design team and the construction team.
- The homeowner is the communication point between the design team and the construction team.
- The homeowner must manage the project to ensure the plans are completed to the design concept.
- The homeowner must manage the construction costs and scheduling of trades/contractors.
- The homeowner chooses a design-build firm and establishes a budget and concept.
- The homeowner is assigned a Project Consultant, Drafter, Conceptual Designer, Estimator, Interior Designer and Project Manager
- The homeowner enjoys watching their dream home building project being fully managed and completed by one team.
|Designed to budget||No||Yes|
|Easy Design Changes||No||Yes|
|Single design and construction contract||No||Yes|
|Quick and simple design and duild Process||No||Yes|
|Whole project managed||No||Yes|
Benefits of the Design-Build process
- The project price is established early in the process—your home will be designed to fit your budget eliminating the need for time consuming redesigns.
- The simplified process eliminates unnecessary tasks.
It’s more cost effective:
-Working to a defined budget from the concept phase often results in significant cost-savings.
-Design-build teams have established processes from concept to completion, making the project faster and more cost-efficient.
It’s less stressful:
-The design-build team manages all aspects of the build process removing the project management role from the homeowner.
-The homeowner only needs to work with one business making communication much easier.
-The simplified process establishes costs early on so the homeowner doesn’t need to worry about spiraling construction expenses.