Home remodels can be complicated, confusing, and frustrating. However, with a little prior preparation you can start your remodel off on the right foot and ensure that you’re ready for the project ahead! Plan for your remodel with these 5 steps:
Decide what you’re trying to accomplish
- Restyle-Your home doesn’t fit your needs and could use a style update.
- Resale-You want to maximize the sale price of your home.
- Repair-Your house has structural or functional problems that need fixing.
- Houzz- Find remodel information, ideas, photographs, and shop for finishing touches.
- Pinterest-Jump into the Pinterest wormhole for styling ideas, remodel options, and designer inspiration for every room.
- A million other websites-Remodel inspiration is at your fingertips with a simple Google search!
Outline Your Needs
- The big picture—does the current layout work or do you need to demolish walls?
- The details—what specifically do you want to change?
- Everything in between—how do you make these things happen?
- Is it a simple change?
- Will you need to make structural changes to achieve it?
- Will it lead to additional things that need doing?
Create a budget
- Be honest about how much you can afford to spend or borrow.
What will the remodel cost?You should include theses expenses:
- Construction cost, including finishing touches like paint.
- Accommodation expenses if you need to live off-site.
- A 7-10% buffer for unexpected costs.
- Basement Remodel: 131% ROI
- Kitchen Remodel: 120% ROI
- Adding a second story: 108% ROI
Talk to Your Contractor
- Can I get references from a current client to see how their remodel is going?
- Are you licensed and insured?
- What’s included in the quote?
- Can you put that in writing?